Laos has re-opened tourism to international visitors under its Green Travel Zone plan implemented in three phases. Fully vaccinated visitors from 30 countries can enter Laos, after 24h quarantine, explore “Green Zone” before being able to explore “Green Trails”.
- Phase 1: 1 January - 31 March, 2022.
- Eligible countries: China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Japan, France, United Kingdom, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy, United States, Canada, and Australia.
- Entry points: Wattay International Airport, First Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge (Vientiane Capital).
- Green Zones: Vientiane Capital, Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng.
- Green Trails: Oudomxay, Xayaboury, Xieng Khouang, Khammouane and Champasack.
- Phase 2: 1 April - 30 June 2022
- Eligible countries: Brunei, Indonesia, the Philippines, Norway, Switzerland, Finland, Israel, Ireland, Hungary, Austria, New Zealand, Poland, Denmark. Belgium has been proposed and is currently being considered.
- Entry points: Luang Prabang international airport, Boten (Luang Namtha, Laos)-Bohan (Mengla, Yunnan, China), the Third Friendship Bridge in Thakhek, the Second Friendship Bridge in Savannakhet, the Chongmek in Pakse, Lao Bao (Quang Tri, Vietnam)-Den Savanh (Savannakhet, Laos) and Cau Treo (Ha Tinh, Vietnam)-Nam Phao (Bolikhamxay, Laos).
- Green Zones: Vientiane Capital, Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Oudomxay, Xayaboury, Xieng Khouang, Khammouane, Savannakhet, and Champasack.
- Green Trails (4 provines): Houay Xay district (Bokeo province), Luang Namtha, Sekong and Salavanh.
- Phase 3: 1 July 2022 - onwards.
Currently, the tourism will be restricted to group tours arranged by authorized tour operators under the Lao Travel Green Zone Plan.
Travel conditions are applied for the visitors to Laos:
- Visa - can be obtained through online.
- Certificate of full vaccination against COVID-19 no less than 14 days.
- Certificate of negative COVID-19 (PCR) within 72 hours.
- Health coverage of no less than $50,000 per person.
- Download and register via the LaoKYC mobile application; as well as upload relevant vaccination certification and COVID-19 test result.
- Take another PCR test.
- 24-hour quarantine at ‘LaoSafe’ certified hotel for results of the PCR tests. If the results are negative, the visitors are free to explore Green Zones.